Childhood memories came flooding back, as I nibbled on a piece of fennel. I love the taste of liquorice now, just as much as I did then, when I could not wait to get my hands on a piece of the twisted, black candy. Little did I know then, that I would one day combine this childhood favourite with green apples. I vividly remember how we use to sneak a little salt out of the kitchen to add to our sour, green apples, to turn it into a sweet delight.
‘With the lingering taste of yesterday, I started creating a recipe which combines the flavours of yesterday with a crisp new touch which I hope you would love just as much as I do’
Salmon on a Fennel and Green Apple Salad
Prep time: 15 min Cooking time: 15 min Total time: 30 min Serves: 3
- 1 Fennel bulb
- 1 Green Apple
- 1 tablespoon chopped fennel leaves
- 150 gr full cream Greek yogurt
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
Cut the Fennel bulb and Green apple into thin slices, combine with the chopped fennel leaves and yogurt. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Now for the Salmon:
- 3 x 150 gram pieces of Salmon
- 1 tbs brown butter
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- Roast the fennel seeds and then grind it a little bit with a mortar and pestle.
- Brown the butter and add the grinded fennel seeds to the butter. The butter will be infused with the fennel taste.
- Place the Salmon pieces, skin side at the bottom, in the butter. Fry until the skin is crispy, this will only take a few minutes.
- Put your pan with the salmon into a 180 degree oven and grill for a further 6 minutes. Do not overcook your Salmon.
- Plate your salad and add your salmon on top, crispy skin side up.
- Garnish with micro chives.