During our recent visit to Trincomalee, Sri Lanka, I fell in love with coconuts and coconut products all over again. Coconuts are widely used in the Sri Lankan diet and forms the main source of dietary fat.
The coconut tree does not just bring a lot of value to Sri Lanka but also forms part of the beautiful landscape. Many different coconut options and products are available from street vendors, vegetable markets food stores located on just about every corner; these include coconuts in the shell, coconuts out of the shell, grated coconuts, coconut water, coconut cream, coconut oil, and the list goes on!
I loved the sambals made from coconut and the Sri Lankan curries are to die for, so this is my take on the Sri Lankan Coconut sambal and Coconut Chilli Chicken Curry Kebabs.
Coconut Sambal – so easy to prepare and very tasty
You will need…
- 100 g grated Coconut (Fresh if available otherwise you can use Coconut flakes)
- Chili powder to taste.
- ½ teaspoon of Salt
- 1 Red Chili sliced
- ½ of the juice of a Lemon
- 2 teaspoons of Tamarind juice (if you cannot find Tamarind juice just add the other half of the lemon)
- ¼ teaspoon of Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Lemon zest
- 1 small red Onion (Finely diced)
In a blender mix everything together to a course consistency.
Chill and serve with your Coconut Chilli Chicken Curry Kebabs.
Coconut Chilli Chicken Curry Kebabs
To make these kebabs, you will need the following…
- 1 large Sweet Potato cut into bite size cubes and boiled for 5 minutes. (The orange varieties add great colour.) Sweet potato can be replaced with pineapple or small onions
- 1 kg Chicken cubes. (I used deboned thighs)
- 3 tablespoons of Coconut oil
- 1 thumb of grated Ginger
- 1 Clove of Garlic chopped
- 1 small Red Onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon of Chili flakes (or to taste)
- 1 thumb of fresh Turmeric (optional) chopped
- 1 teaspoon of Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon of Coriander
- 1 teaspoon of Cumin
- 2 tablespoons of Curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons of Curry powder (Garam masala)
- 1tablespoon of brown Sugar
- ½ teaspoon of Salt
- 1 tin of Coconut milk
STEP 1: The marinade
In a saucepan heat the 2 tablespoons of Coconut oil over a slow heat.
Add the Mustard seeds and wait until they start to pop, now add the Curry leaves, Cumin, Coriander, Turmeric, Chili flakes, Ginger, Onion and Garlic. Fry all the ingredients together and then add the Sugar, the Salt and the Coconut milk. Let the dish simmer over a low heat for about 5 minutes. Allow the marinade sauce to cool to room temperature.
STEP 2 : Coconut Chilli Chicken Curry Kebabs
Place the Chicken and Sweet Potato cubes into a large bowl, mix lightly and then add your marinade sauce. Mix the marinade sauce through the cubes. Leave the Chicken and Sweet Potato cubes to marinade for an hour. Alternating the Chicken and Sweet Potato cubes skewer the cubes.
The Coconut Chilli Chicken Curry Kebabs can be shallow fried in a saucepan using Coconut oil until cooked evenly or barbequed on a grill until golden brown and delicious.
The sweet taste of the Coconut, the spiciness of the Chili and authenticity of the Curry brings the whole world of Sri Lanka to your taste buds. A burst of utmost pleasure.